Wednesday 10 November 2010

Connecting with characters.

To be able to connect with characters within a game is, for me, one of the most important things in a game. In my personal history of games I have always stuck with games that have a deep story line, something that you can really get into. It’s the story that keeps you playing the game; you want to find out what happens to the characters that you have become so attached to.

The first game that I seriously got into and connected with was Final Fantasy VIII; I was drawn into the world that existed within the game. I have always had an overactive imagination; I always made up stories and scenarios in my head and spent most of my childhood in my own little fantasy worlds. My imagination grew as I started reading novels, something I loved doing and still do, like games a book pulls you into another world with new rules and restrictions, were the laws and reality of the real world do not apply. Instead the reality of the world inside the story becomes very real in your mind.

I feel that this is the reason for my choice of highly story driven games especially RPG style games. For me I have to really want to pick up a game and want to play on through the story, desperate to find out what happens to the characters that I have become so attached to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment